Not all skin is the same, your eye area needs some extra love when it comes to protecting and moisturising the delicate skin. The skin around your eyes is the thinnest on the body, with a thickness of about 0.5mm. There are also minimal oil glands around your eyes to help keep the skin naturally hydrated, so finding the right eye treatments is important in reducing puffiness, discolouration, fine lines and wrinkles.
Why does the eye area develop dark circles and puffiness?
The circulation around the eye area can become sluggish which can result in a build up of fluids that swell in the tissues around your eyes leaving puffiness and bags. This can come from allergies and sinus, but it can also be a result of sleep deprivation, diet, alcohol, and just plain old ageing.
What causes pigmentation in the eye area?
Pigmentation or dark spots on the skin is caused by uneven patches of skin cells in the epidermis that have changed colour due to melanin being produced. When this happens in uneven areas on the skin it causes patches of pigmentation or age spots or an uneven skin tone.
What causes fine lines?
The thin skin of your eye area mixed with constant muscle action for blinking and even smiling can lead your eyes to show signs of ageing faster than the rest of your face.
Tips and Tricks for looking after your eye area:
- Collagen-building ingredients help boost thin skin and smooth out fine lines, try our C8 Collagen Crystal Eye Mask to target dark circles and fine lines under your eyes.
- Be sun smart! The sun encourages the production of melanin and will increase pigmentation. Make sure you look after your skin and use a moisturiser or foundation that contains SPF 30+.
- Exfoliate and gently massage the skin to increase blood circulation around the eyes. Our 24K Active Gold Eye Mask provides cooling and soothing relief to the skin, it contains pure whitening essence milk, Vitamin B3, mulberry extract and grape leaf essence to help boost blood circulation.
- Keep hydrated and drink plenty of water!
- Hint: try storing your Lonvitalite eye masks in the fridge for an extra shot of coolness, which will sooth tired eyes and help reduce puffiness